Sunday, February 17, 2013

Make Your Own: Loubuttons

There are approximately 8 inches of snow on the ground right now. A good Samaritan used their snow blower on our sidewalk, but our neighbor still hasn't offered to shovel out my car. Chivalry is only partially alive in Northeast Ohio, and totally dead among college students.

On days when the snow is up to your ankles and your kitchen refuses to clean itself, you sometimes need to add a little glamour to your life. I've been watching a lot of Gossip Girl lately, and while I can take a pass on the Chanel No. 5 and the Louis Vitton luggage, I am incredibly envious of the red-soled Christian Louboutin heels. I'm a sucker for nice shoes with unexpected pops of color. While my current financial circumstances prevent me from making my materialistic shoe dreams come true, my imagination is richer than ever. So I decided to paint the soles of a pair of shoes red. I didn't let my house's lack of red paint slow me down either. I simply used red nail polish.

I am thrilled with the potentially copyright infringing results.

It's pretty obvious that these are not designer shoes, but I'm pretty satisfied with the results. If one wanted to spend some money on this endeavor, one could purchase Louboutin sole paint. A quick Google search reveals that Martha Stewart paints the bottoms of her Louboutins black. This is possibly the first thing Martha has done that I have ever disagreed with (Martha wouldn't have been accused of "Insider trading" had she been a man, but that's a story for a different blog post). The Google search also revealed that I'm not the first person to paint the soles of their shoes red in an attempt to add some glamour in their lives. But they buy paint specifically for that purpose. Even Christian Louboutin painted his first pair of famous heels using nail polish.

So happy shoe polishing. These boots were made for walking and as soon as this snow melts, I'm going to put these puppies on and walk all over the patriarchy.


No comments:

Post a Comment